The Middle School Professional Learning Community is a joint initiative of Drama South Australia and Windmill Theatre Co. A group of teachers, from Years 5 to 9, will have access to workshops with creatives and actors across six professional learning sessions. These workshops will support educators to extend and develop new skills, networks and gain an in-depth understanding of the creation of new Australian dramatic works for young people.
Following the successful delivery of the Primary Drama Professional Learning Community by Drama South Australia (DSA) in 2016, in 2018 DSA has partnered with Windmill Theatre Co to deliver a new program for teachers of years 5 to 9.
The Middle School Professional Learning Community (MSPLC) program provides places for a limited number of teachers to participate in a broad-reaching development program. The MSPLC will be broken into monthly development sessions taking place each month from April to September 2018. The program aims to explore a range of perspectives on the creation of new theatrical works from writers, directors and actors.
OUTCOMES AND BENEFITS
- Development of a professional learning community for Middle School Teachers that includes peer support and mentoring guidance
- Access to high level theatre industry professionals through a series of in depth seminars
- Insight into pathways within the performing arts industry
- Enhanced capacity for arts and cultural leadership
- Collaboration and exchange between peers
- New perspectives into aspects of the contemporary theatrical creative process
Benefits aligned to the Teachers Standards:
- Engage with colleagues and improve practice
- Networking with theatre professionals and professional theatre companies
- Engage in professional learning and improve practice
- Engage with professional teaching networks and broader communities